ALASKA BOUND

Friday, July 22, 2011

South Dakota with "Road Warriors"




 
KC      7/21/2011
          HELLO MALE AND FEMALE SPECeMINEs, I apologize for not blogging in a while but I was having  a writers block. But lets get to more important things, today I saw mount rushmore for the first time! It was awesome!!! Id give it a full five thumbs up, if I had five thumbs. It was beautiful, I found out some background information about rushmore. If you would like to know more then read the next paragraph, but if you don’t want to skip it. (but id recommend that you read it because its pretty interesting)
          Mount rushmore started out as a dream , a dream dreamed by Gutzon Borglum. He needed permission from many of people, that was the congress, mr. rushmore, and state of south Dakota. After he got all his permissions in order he had to start raising money to pay for his dream, e even receved $1700 from school students. After he got to his grand total of $50000 he was able to start. WHEN HE HIRED MEN TO WORK ON THE JOB IT WOULD Take them 2 hours just to get up the mountain. Finally one day borglum realized that he needed some way to communicate with his men when they were working, so he hired A MAN TO STAND AT THE TOP OF A MOUNTAIN EVERY DAY AND YELL DOWN THE MOUNTAIN TO TELL THE WORKERS THE MESSAGE THAT WAS SUPOST TO BE TOLD. SOUNDS LIKE A PRETTY EASY JOB RIGHT, BUT THIS PERTICULAR MAN WAS very scared of heights and so borglum gave him a different job. And blah blAH BLAH useless info and here is the interesting part, one day he decided that while he was in town 2 get a major surgery that he needed  and during his surgery he sadly passed away. All the workers insisted that his son Lincoln borglum should take over his fathers work but Lincoln refused, he said that,
“this was my fathers dream and any other person that might do this job could ruin his dream”
and so he signed a paper saying that know one will ever work on it again. A few years later he changed his mind and decided to work on it again for his father, so when he tried to get it started up again the government said,
“nope sorry you cant work on it, you signed a paper saying that no one can work on it”
and so Gutzon borglum’s dream stays what it is today as uncomplete.

My quote of the day!!
“If you don't get everything you want, think of the things you don't get that you don't want.” 
~Oscar Wilde
( Anyway I hope you found me interesting, and not zack the guy who rides bears apparently. (uncle jim !))
 

ZJ         7-21-11

Now we are heading to South Dakota.

Today was Mount Rushmore day. at first I wasn’t to excited. I walked in and I was AMAZED!!! I just couldn’t explain how interesting it was. I suggest everyone should go. To bad nobody really reads this. They would all think it is interesting. I learned almost everything there is to know about it. Words don’t even begin to describe it. Then after that I went to Wall Drug Store. Supposed to be the largest drug store in the world. We where sweating so much it was crazy. We came to the best campground I ever stayed at. We where eating and then it started to drizzle and the wind started to blow slowly and then BOOM all of a sudden the wind got so fast I almost flew off the bench. It was awesome!!!! Man what a great day.
For more information visit the Mount Rushmore National Memorial website at www.nps.gov/moru/

No comments:

Post a Comment